Sunday, July 19, 2009

Regality In Capture !!!

video



Beautiful Fur + Fearsome Reputation = Grim Outlook


The above pictures are from my visit to the local zoo. Apart from the striking beauty and the regality of this magnificent animal what was more striking was the restlessness that I saw it in. The tiger kept moving incessantly inside its enclosure which spoilt my numerous attempts to take its good picture. And though the enclosure was pretty big (half the size of a soccer field ) but it was evident from the behaviour of the tiger that it hated being kept in the captivity and the prying eyes and ever clicking cameras of its human visitors.

This was a disgraceful power equation at display. Just because the human being has power it has captured an otherwise very powerful animal and put it up for display and entertainment. Various thoughts begin to pass by my mind as I watched it. I was entertained and delightful to see 3-4 ft away the king of the jungle, an animal with a fearsome reputation. Each time it passed near by me something trembled inside me, at the same time I felt ashamed at being responsible for keeping an animal under captivity devoid of freedom and its natural habitat.

Its hard for me to conclude whether its good or bad to keep an animal in a zoo or whether the idea of a zoo is good or bad but these questions are difficult to answer and I'am sure they get raised in every person that comes close to this issue.


18 comments:

Hobo ........ ........ ........ said...

National Park idea is always better than Zoo. But who will listen & implement ?
Govt ? - I doubt.

manivannan said...

I agree with you...that's a sad plight to behold. Your thoughts remind me of the wonderful movie Born Free.

I always feel animals should never be caged...they should be free!!!
But we humans, just for our survival, have threatened all other species...which is something we should certainly be shameful of.

Harshita said...

I agree with Hobo... National Park is much much better an option as compared to Zoo...

I sometimes feel, abhi mere ko koi caged kar dey toh... we human cant even get bound by rules.. leave aside living in a cage...

Toh fir animals kyun??

Arv said...

I like the national reserves... protected... yet free :)

Krishna said...

Hey Sneha..first thing first. Cool blog looks.
Second thing second, about your experience at the zoo. Contrary to what you may perceive as a cage for free-spirited animals, a zoo may actually turn out to be what animals like to be in..
Read the award winning "Life of Pi" to get a persepctive on zoo animals. It's a good novel. Written by Yann Martel, set partly in India, the Pacific, and Canada.

Mulling Over My Thoughts said...

I haven't visited a zoo in 7 years for that very reason now...

Aswani said...

Great thought but who listens these days :(

Shravan | ശ്രവണ്‍ said...

national parks.. better than the zoo coz the animals get to live in their natural living conditions to an extent and are not caged.

•bLue-eyed sOuL• said...

wow.....nice blog....and thnx 4 passing tho my blog..!!

abhisheksardar said...

Tiger canada me bhi hote hai kya??

Waise I agree animals shouldn't be kept in zoos for our entertainment.

M S Ahluwalia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M S Ahluwalia said...

Exploitation of the weak by the strong(relatively)... the same old story...

And Zoos... well, do you have a collar/chain/cage for your pets?

Amal Bose said...

National parks are better than zoos.. no one likes to be caged and put to display..

Bindhu Unny said...

Our zoos are actually very badly designed. It should be designed to recreate a the natural environment. The tigers we saw at Pilikula Biological Park (Mangalore) were very lively. Check this out - http://www.travelwithacouple.com/?s=pilikula
:-)

SAHITYIKA said...

hey. hi
yes ofcourse dear..
its not gud.. jus imagine the same situation with ur self..n we cn feel how wrong n inhuman it is..

bt..
wht we can do??
if we can really take care of thm.. n care for their life.. thn i think tht will be a lil of compunsation for thm.. :)

Amal Bose said...

uve been tagged :D

http://inmylineofsight.blogspot.com/2009/07/12-things-to-be-accomplished-in-my.html

Sneha said...

Thank you Guys for visiting and sharing your views with me.:) But i am enthralled by the zoo b'coz i get to see the tiger 3-4 ft away from me.:)

workhard said...

Its not fair for the animals to be in captive.... Yeah a sanctuary or a national park.. but not in cages.. that is what where they belong..

Make website india